Â鶹´«Ă˝

Skip to content

Quebec premier throws support behind 'targeted' response to U.S. tariffs

MONTREAL — Quebec Premier François Legault on Thursday endorsed Ottawa’s response to the latest round of U.S. tariffs, saying any retaliation must be targeted to avoid doing more damage to Canada's economy. Canada was “relatively spared” by U.S.
06eea6e9bd54b250bd6a9d68bb21b11eb2e5e13e6dd39cdb2e4840ae5446592f
Quebec Economy Minister Christine Fréchette looks on as Quebec Premier François Legault speaks during a news conference in Montreal, Thursday, April 3 2025, following a virtual meeting with provincial counterparts and Prime Minister Mark Carney where they discussed U.S. President Donald Trump’s latest tariffs. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

MONTREAL — Quebec Premier François Legault on Thursday endorsed Ottawa’s response to the latest round of U.S. tariffs, saying any retaliation must be targeted to avoid doing more damage to Canada's economy.

Canada was “relatively spared” by U.S. President Donald Trump’s move on Wednesday to levy tariffs on most countries, Legault said, but the nation must remain “on guard.”

The White House said goods covered by the free-trade deal between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico were exempted from the new round of tariffs, but Trump said that previously announced 25 per cent tariffs on automobile imports would start Thursday.

In response, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Canada will match Trump's 25 per cent auto tariffs with a levy on vehicles imported from the United States.

Legault said he was "very comfortable" with Carney's retaliatory measures, adding he doesn’t support dollar-for-dollar counter-tariffs that he believes could hurt Canadians more than Americans, and he said Trump “doesn’t need help” doing damage to the U.S. economy.

"We have to be prudent with our response," Legault said. "We can't hurt ourselves more than the Americans."

The Quebec premier also wants Canada to renegotiate its free-trade deal with the United States and Mexico as soon as the federal election campaign is over, to avoid piecemeal negotiations and remove uncertainty.

Carney, meanwhile, told reporters on Thursday that if he wins the April 28 election, he would sit down immediately with the president to "find areas of common ground and agreement in a new economic and security partnership."

Legault said the trade war is an opportunity for Quebec to transform its economy, especially by building new trade ties with Europe. He said Europe wants to invest 800 billion euros on a new military procurement program.

"Of course we would like to have a part of that," he said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 3, 2025.

The Canadian Press

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks